GENRE FICTION WRITING
To promote genre fiction writing and genre fiction writers. To exchange
information and insights aimed at helping participants improve as genre
What is Genre Fiction?
Writing that falls into marketing categories such as science fiction,
mystery, historical, fantasy, and romance. This type of writing is usually
focused on the craft of the storytelling. Stories that have cross-genre
influences, such as historical romance or science fantasy are also welcome.
Writing that falls into sub-categories, such as contemporary fantasy
or mystery suspense fiction are also welcome. While the writing can
be somewhat experimental, experimental writing is not the focus of the
Genre Fiction Writing Group.
1. The focus is genre fiction, e.g. science fiction, fantasy,
mystery, romance, historical.
2. The group reads and writes both short fiction and novels.
3. Each submission is limited to a maximum of 5,000 words.
4. Each member will submit at least
3 stories or novel sections a year for review.
5. The group is for beginning, intermediate, and advanced writers.
6. Each review will have a written part to it so that the writer
can have something to refer to when reworking the genre fiction piece.
7. We will be honest, but diplomatic, with the goal of helping
each other improve.
8. We will not make ourselves feel better by making others feel
9. If the group gets too large, say 8 people or more, we will
need to adjust the way the group operates or consider breaking into
10. All Genre Fiction Writing Group members have to be current dues-paying
members of the Knoxville Writers' Guild.