|POETRY WRITING GROUP
If poetry is
your language, the KWG Poetry Work Group is open to poets of all skill
levels interested in improving their craft. Constructive criticism and
encouragement is key to this process. More experienced poets mentor
beginners and facilitate the group by providing a writing exercise for
1. Choose your words: avoid judgmental terms or digressing into
personal disagreements with the message or perspective.
2. Focus on use of language, imagery, emotions projected,
effectiveness of style or form.
3. Make specific suggestions: mark words or lines that
could be deleted or reworked, suggest alternative words or phrases
to use. Cite chapter and verse, for example: "In line 3 of the
4. Suggestions in the form of a question are usually less threatening!
When being critiqued:
1. Don't be defensive. Listen to comments without interrupting
or replying except to direct questions.
2. Provide copies of your work so critiquers can make written
comments or suggestions. Make notes on your own of any comments
that are particularly helpful or provide a different perspective.
3. When the group finishes critiquing, ask for clarification
of any comments you didn't understand.
4. Above all, resolve not to take criticism personally. Accept
that we are all here to learn and help each other craft our material.
perspectives among group members are what makes a group work!
meets at the Panera in Bearden on the third Monday each month at 6:00 p.m., 4855 Kingston Pike., Knoxville TN 37919.